Wednesday 10 October 2012

The constant hunt for professional development units (PDUs).

PDU activity
Ah. The bane of all PMP certification holders. PDUs.

I value the structure to 'ensure' continual learnings and recency with  the project management discipline. But its definitely painful for busy practitioners to maintain this score of 60. I'm into my 2nd cycle of renewal now, having earned my PMP back in 2007. Hope to renew this for as long as its of professional interest to do so. I do not see many PMs in this industry having proper project management certifications or even training to say the least.

Recently attended a 2 day Symposium organised by the Singapore Chapter of PMI as part of this great PDU hunt. This is my 3rd Symposium. I do see a difference in mindset when I attend this particular session. The need for PDUs is still there (i will be honest here, that's the primary motivation), but I do find myself selecting/approaching each presentation from a broader perspective. Its less of what's interesting for my personal development, but more of what can I bring back to implement in POSSIBLE.

To name a few:
  • Further develop and incorporate Agile in our PM processes
  • Professional development of the PM department.
  • How do we measure effectiveness of the training that staff gets sent to?
  • Setup and management of our project management office (PMO) 
  • Networking to lookout for potential clients and PM candidates to hire. 

Tons of stuff that I think is beneficial for myself and the team. Will try to spend some time over the next few weeks to flesh them out and maybe even discuss some here. 

As per my old army times, Advance and Overcome.